Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas

I'd been finding it kind of difficult to get into the holiday spirit. Usually I love this time of year - I'll put up a tree the day after Thanksgiving, purchase gifts all month long. Why haven't I been able to get in the mood. Is it because my job was taking me away from home three nights a week? Is it because there were still so many loose ends from the wedding (thank you cards, gifts to find a spot to store, etc.) until last weekend? It could be any number of things - but I think it's one thing in particular.

This is the first year I'm spending as an "official" agnostic. I was having a hard time justifying the celebration of a holiday that is supposed to be based around religion. I really do love this time of year...the pretty decorations, getting together with family and friends, exchanging gifts to express your care for people, eating lots of delicious food...all of these things are awesome - but don't really seem to have a lot to do with religion. But how does one celebrate a holiday without subscribing to the religious nature of it & being a hypocrite?

My brain really started churning during a toastmasters meeting this week. One of the speakers brought a story about teaching children the meaning of Christmas. In the story, all of our current traditions were linked to the Christian faith in some way.

Well, I've been dong some research and it turns out that lots of different religions and cultures celebrate during this time of year. Many of the traditions that we now associate with Christmas have been adapted from other winter celebrations. So, it turns out I can celebrate right alongside with my religious friends and neighbors - just for different reasons.

I'm so happy that I can bake cookies, purchase gifts for loved ones, and decorate a tree to celebrate winter, family & friends, and life without feeling like a fraud!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Hello :o)

I'm not agnostic but it seems like there is such an all-encompassing nature to this season that you can still celebrate no matter what you believe. Of course "Christmas" is pretty straightforward but... that's okay.

I am a Christian and I had a hard time getting into the spirit because it seemed like everything was so watered down... funny.